Jul 9, 2008

Aging

This: anonymous, sage.

Old Age, I decided, is a gift. I am now closest to the person I have always wanted to be.

Oh, not my body! Often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror but I don't agonize over it for long. I've become more kind to myself, my own friend. I don't chide myself for not making my bed or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio.

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60's & 70's, and if I wish to weep over a lost love, I will. I am at times forgetful but some of life is just as well forgotten.

Yes my heart has been broken, but that gives us strength and understanding and compassion. I am blessed to have lived long enough to watch my hair turn gray and for laugh lines to etch into my face. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

Age has actually set me free.

No comments:

Post a Comment