Apr 26, 2013

Leading You There

I am being tossed and thrown about in the midst of a storm. It is nearly retirement age.

I plant flowers and let the beauty wash over me. It is tangible and true. During times of great change when the earth shifts underfoot and there is no stabilizing bar that is not also in sway, it is hard to not feel afraid. The land - the wind - the birds - the weeds - the rocks - and yes, even the mosquitos - gives a singular anchor, and somewhere to leave footprints.

I see by the broken branches and trodden path that others have passed this way before. They have stood in this spot and looked at their lives in astonishment, knowing that time has rushed by faster than it seemed, and now they stand at the edge of life in recall.

It is an insecure time. Perhaps I did not plan well enough, and will not be ready. Or maybe I am clinging to my former, more robust self.  I contemplate my anchors of purpose and value, and how I can best adapt to the coming transformation.

I study my hard working and calloused hands that are puckered with age. They were beautiful once, with long slender fingers, white with a light dusting of freckles. They could do anything, and they lived many lives.

They speak to me now with reassurrance. There will be purpose ahead and something to anchor you. Trust us to lead you there. But to begin the journey, you have to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment