Oct 31, 2012

Peace Be With You

Not to be disrespectful to what is happening with Hurricane Sandy but the reporting of that gave me a brilliant idea. There are tons of websites where updates are boiled down to the jist of what is happening - where the storm is, how people are affected, who has power and how the sick and infirmed are faring. Pretty much everything else was drama, and the way they constructed the reporting, you could avoid that.

So why not do the same with the Presidential race.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/tracker/2012/sandy

You know, have a Political Stormtracker showing velocity and trajectory of their campaigns, and whether to batten down the hatches, run for the hills or plan a party.

The Presidential stumping ground could go from (too many) months to just a few days of petting dogs and holding babies. Everything else could be posted on the Stormtracker. Past performance, goals and the first-hundred-days-in-office plan, how the White House would get a makeover, etc. We don't actually have to know them on sight to vote. We the people, who are so capable and gritty, can spoon feed ourselves.

I can hardly contain the excitement of a drama-free campaign. I'm sure the candidates believe it's thrilling to meet them. They've been told it will ramp up their campaigns. And in small circles, perhaps so. But for the rest of us, they more resemble that obnoxious next door neighbor we try to avoid.

Famous people are like that. So out of touch. They buggggg me, with their wall-eyed glances, one on the camera and one on the crowd, in shameless self promotion.

The Hubs loves celebrities. He talks all the time about meeting some baseball player named (Oscar? Manuel? Roberto?) Zepada? Cepeda? at the Sushi place we love and shaking the hand of Bobby Kennedy just days before his last. He goes to music venues to see TV personalities. He and his brother actually sent a present once to one of the guys on the tv show, My Three Sons. LOL

I saw Walt Disney once. And I remember the day the Principal of my elementary came to dinner. What kind of father makes friends with the Principal of their kids' school?? I knew instantly my folks had BatPhone access to Mr. Jennings. And even worse, he singled me out the next week on the way to recess, called me by name and said with a big smile what a nice time he had at dinner. I couldn't look anyone in the eye for a week.

I am super judgemental on this topic -- and did you happen to notice the subword mental which supports my efforts to shun those seeking fame for being the magnificently crazy stupid people they are. 

{Except for Antonio Banderas. I'd like to meet him in the historical non fiction aisle of a bookstore and talk about what it was like working with Catherine Zita-Jones.}

No comments:

Post a Comment