Feb 13, 2012

Around the Water Cooler

Yesterday, we put Sammy's leash on a couple of minutes before walking out the door. She loves going anywhere, and we've done this before. No big deal. But on Sunday when we called to her, she tore through the kitchen and somehow the end of the leash caught on the water jug stand and the whole thing came crashing to the floor. It made a terrific sound, and a terrific mess as you might imagine - shards of broken pottery and water was everywhere.

Holy cow!~ I jumped for the towels and she ran for the back door, and once the towels were down we found her trembling and curled into a ball, ears back and eyes downcast. I crumpled to the floor and called to her just a few feet away, and she wouldn't come. In soothing tones I called her again, please come, it's alright, arms open, waiting. Nope.

So I inched over and she looked up at me with the saddest expression, as if saying 'I don't know what happened, but it was my fault.' I wrapped her in a hug and curled her into my lap and we sat there, her shivering in fright and me covering the wet, scared dog in the comfort of a shawl.

It's alright. Really.  

She had to be outside for a while until we picked up all the sharp pieces - and mop up gallons of water - and she threw up twice before we coaxed her back inside. Slowly we worked with her, it's alright honey, look how clean the floor is, such a sweet good girl ... and in time she began to relax.

She threw up twice more overnight, and is still acting sad and embarrassed. What a sensitive and gentle heart she has! I just wish I could talk dog.

3 comments:

  1. This story brought tears to my eyes. Poor puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous13/2/12

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous13/2/12

    I just love that little pup. I love her Mommy as well, with all of my heart. I so enjoy reading your stories Nan....

    ReplyDelete