Dec 5, 2011

Since June

Our Tree
I dearly love this time season. At work we are offering to gift wrap packages for anyone in the office for their families, and our holiday party is Friday. I sit writing this with the sounds of the heater cycling in the background and wrapped up in a cozy sweatshirt and shawl. It's 40 outside.

The yard is dirty with leaves from the last season that whipped by and they are pooled at the door. It's the first thing we hear as Sammy and I head out to a walk: crunch crunch crunch. Man, I love that sound! I'm fishing through my holiday recipes and look down at my belly full of Jami's homemade pumpkin pie. Time to hang that wreath on the door.

Ready.

One of the Grandkid ornaments
Family Season: when you know the time has come to spend it with absolutely the most important people in your life. On skype, or phone, or perched on the chairs ringing the dining room table, warmth floods my heart in anticipation of the emotional battery recharge.  Christmas Eve candlelight service. A present at midnight. If any of the kids stay over, we get an extra morning hug. 


Set.

Mike & Me 1986
This crazy busy time demands attention but I love it. The storage boxes are down and old traditions pop out smiling and waiting along with me for the moment the children step over the threshold. There is no more beautiful sound in this world than the chorus of our children's voices coming from the other room as I hum carols and we put out the food.

Go!

(I've been singing them in the car since June.)

No comments:

Post a Comment