Aug 15, 2011

A Really Good Read

I've been reading a book that's hard to put down. I knew that when I realized I had taken to carrying it around with me all over the house and on errands. What a pity for the person who doesn't quite finish before life kicks back in. (I had to leave off at page 456.)

A good book creeps back into you, you can count on that. On the way to work I was musing over the developments and characters that have sprung to life. It's fun. And it is interesting to listen to the voices of talented writers talk about so many compelling topics.

It was a rare weekend of leisure to spend in the company of Aibileen and Skeeter. And today, first thing through the door and I was on the book to finish it off, before dinner.

The Kindle deserves equal time, and it sure is handy to carry around 100 books with a six ounce slimline thing that fits right in your purse. People say that print is dead, or dying, and this is the wave of the future, but I'm unconvinced. It just doesn't have the same sensory experience as the rough pages of a cheap paperback with creases in every corner and a dog-eared cover.

I'll get used to it. But for a couple of days, I'm going to just sit quietly and savor the Help as a really good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment