Aug 15, 2011

Human Kindness

In passing, someone hands a merry-go-round ring from their keyring to someone who needs it. For luck and better days ahead, it says.  

A compassionate stranger's voice on the end of the line becomes a dear and trusted friend in no time at all. I want to listen, it says.

A card arrives for no real reason other than someone is thinking of you. No ask for money or to borrow something. You are important to me, it says, and I miss you.

A car pulls up to the window to pay the bridge toll, and is informed it was paid by someone three cars up. Surprise! it says.

Someone in the neighborhood knocks on the door of a large family with a basket of fruit from the Farmer's Market to share. You are a nice family, it says.

A son drops in to take the folks to dinner in the middle of the week. I will never outgrow my love for you, it says. You matter to me.

The world is vicious and brutal, but not always. Be kind and engage, it says, and may the good in us prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment