Mar 19, 2011

Using the Rosary

As a kid, I had some Catholic friends and attended church with them sometimes. The use of the Rosary and chanting throughout the service was really weird, even though there is some response in the Lutheran services. It seemed pretty impersonal to me, and nothing like the more engaging and timely sermons by our Pastors that helped us understand everyday life. I'm sure there are many different ways of delivering the message of Everlasting Life and who was I to judge?

My ex didn't go to church, or his brothers or sisters, but his mother was a devout Catholic. When she passed, I got one of her Rosary beads and a little teacup as mementos. I treasure them.

All through my life, I've wondered where the dividing line is for the term Christian, and who decides and when. It seems largely a matter of preference among the many religions of the world. For some, you are not considered devout unless you are active and financially supporting a church, studying the good book and - most of all - perceived and accepted by others into the circle. For others, it is to stop during the day to kneel and pray; or wear clothing demonstrating a penitent spirit; or confess your sins before a Priest.

Lutherans deliver the message far differently than Catholics, and that was true at a viewing/wake for a friend's father's funeral. For the first time, sitting with my husband who is a Catholic, I learned how to use the rosary properly, and as we worked the beads together I began to understand the humility and comfort of it.  We used Rosary beads of his mother and those we had bought at the Vatican that was blessed by the Pope.

For a long, long while both of us have been independent Christians. Morning quiet prayers and gratefulness for His gifts in our life, and nightly prayers for those in need. But being in church fills my spirit with a different kind of longing. I miss it.  And I miss other things, too, that have fallen by the wayside, nourishing habits that would deepen and qualify life. Things like ~ regular exercise, leisure reading, volunteerism and outreach, and writing every day.

Both of us believe that our personal relationship with God is strong and honest in our quiet time every day. Would it make us feel differently about God by attending a weekly service? Probably not. But I am realizing that I miss the much broader perspective of the sermons, the readings and psalms, the hymns, and the fellowship that more regular attendance would bring.

I think I'll pray about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment