Mar 24, 2011

Bushels of Confidence

There was a study recently conducted with high schoolers internationally and American seniors ranked top in the world in - no, not math or science or history - but in confidence. I got a kick out of that: we aren't smarter than other children in measurable ways, we only think we are.

How totally Teenagesque! I remember jumping into things with both feet. Not realizing I should exercise more caution, or even entertaining the thought I might fail, it was an exhilirating time. And then years went by and slowly the remodeling took place. Sometimes I wonder how much of me was left on the cutting room floor.

To this day the friends I treasure most are the ones who never lost that sense of invulnerability. Old enough to 'know better', they constantly surprise and delight with their half brained ideas and a hearty laugh when they see the results. They fearlessky grab life and let it whip them around. Their life is full of unexpected delights and that's why we flock to them: they bring us out to play.

Friends like that can talk me into swimming across a lake with beers stuffed in my bathing suit; make me laugh through a snorkle and play Super Sloppy Double Dare games in the back yard with 20 little kids; put me in a car with no known destination other than a series of clues that need to be interpreted; sit and watch The Three Musketeers in the movies four times in one day; love with their whole hearts so you are safe and warm; plan a road trip on a lark; talk and laugh for two and a half hours until the cell battery dies; and toilet paper the house with the kids just to see if they can tie a big toilet paper bow on the front door without waking the dog.

I'm glad you are in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment