Jan 31, 2011

Sunny Side Up

I think it was Stephen Colbert who defined hope as believing in something without evidence, and optimism as believing in something because there is evidence to suggest it.

A whole plate of changes last week ~ the first day, first outfit for the first day, first pair of heels for the first outfit for the first day, what to pack, and bring, and eat. Applied on bare skin, it felt icy hot with uncomfortable relief.  I look deeply into my eyes as I frost the lashes and tell myself to get a move on. I'm working!

Sometimes my chest tightens at being too near the edge. I have to remind myself, change is not vertigo. Change is change, a part of life, so just get over it. And anyway, I was put here, with these people, for this purpose, at this time. Relax and let it go.

Cancer survivors have an astonishing resolve to push into a future they can't control, carrying hope up and out despite the temptation to pull the covers over their heads and block out the world. They already know life does not always go their way, a victimless crime that tests their resolve; when they suffer loss, they gain a new appreciation of their special gifts; and as time grows short, they understand what a waste it is to focus on the what ifs, why nots, and but whens.

On the best journeys, optimism lights the way and courage purposes the trip. The trick is to find a way to enjoy the view from all four sides of the house...

No comments:

Post a Comment