Jan 25, 2011

All For One

I suppose when you love what you do it really shows in the way you tackle the work to be done. There's a mountain of it to cast a shadow, with the season just beginning for outreach activities throughout the state. Simultaneously is planned an office move plus significant job repurposing for some people, my job included, and for that I have the advantage of being new and not having to transition. (I've got plenty of personal transitions going on.) I recollect a couple of moves at work and know how easily derailed a staff can become when change upends the routine.

But not here. Where I work (still can't get over saying that, btw) ... there seems to be a constant awareness of the work itself.  It is interesting to stand alongside people who have worked for decades together, companionably adapting to whatever they are asked to do to further the goals of the organization. There is a genuine sense of - what is it: celebration? dedication? - to make an impact on worldwide health and healing, however small.

My conclusion from that (after day two, as the initial reaction expert) and from meeting everyone (particularly those who went out of their way to stop by my little cubby ~ a Vice President and a receptionist) is that this is a good place to work. No one strutts around with their big titles, and I may be forced to memorize the org chart just to know who's who.

I like that. And becoming part of the philosophical shared voice the office has adopted for unity and purpose. They will come to know me. Rely and trust in me.

The employee manual was full of governing actions and a code of conduct that was fair, honest, and respectful to each employee. The goal was harmony and productivity from within, results-driven from without. Time was taken to explain why policy was enforced, and what the employee would gain. In just a few pages, I saw nurturing and longevity, personal development, and a company as vested in our health, exercise and education as we are.

Wow. There really are places where companies reflect light back into their employees, and I am so glad to have soft landed in one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment