Feb 11, 2010

Tarnished Silver

Nothing like having some headliner news come home to roost.

I was heading to Marin from Sacramento yesterday on a road that winds through low-lying marshes, past a naval weapons station and what used to be known as Marine World back in the day. It's a two lane road some of the way, one lane in each direction separated by a concrete berm for the more treacherous parts.

Anyway, it was on that road that a passenger van came up alongside as the road narrowed from two lanes to one. I was in no hurry so I gently applied the brake and generously gestured for him to go ahead.

He hesitated.

I applied the brake a little harder this time, with a bit more of a grand gesture, and caught his eye out of his side view mirror with - what was it, a sense of concern? - as he reluctantly merged in ahead of me.

Weird, I thought. Usually drivers love winning the toss and even charge in ahead without asking. I looked at the tanker truck ahead of him, and back at the van with a Toyota logo, thinking I wouldn't want him behind me if he had a stuck accelerator pedal and if I was directly behind a tanker truck.

And then it hit me why he was hesitating back there: I was driving a Toyota, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment