Feb 11, 2010

Interludes

With only 16 days to go before the wedding, I'm extremely cheerful, so cheerful in fact it must be driving everyone crazy. Thanks to those who have the good taste not to mention it. You know who you are.

It's been a mere 31 years since I've done this and frankly the first go round preparations involved unsuccessfully trying to talk my future mother-in-law out of the Italian accordian band she hired as a wedding gift and spending what seemed to be days!-weeks!-months! tying netting around little almonds with slippery satiny bows that probably were tossed in the car ashtray on the way home. Almonds don't even have an expiration date, did you know that, meaning the almonds lasted longer than the marriage.

Excitement is oozing out in the most obscure ways. At first it was finding an off-the-rack dress and then I found on clearance at Macys the most amazing Cinderella sandals 50% off plus (on this day) an additional 20%!

With a sale like that, you'd imagine every available woman in all of Sacramento was in this shoe department which they were, seven deep at the register, and droves of them reaching and leaning into each other's personal space to get to the shimmery shoes with too-high heels that were tried on and tossed back on the racks. It was mayhem! Hasn't anyone ever heard of the recession?

Anyway, I spied these little satin jobs in the size 5 rack. I stretched over a little Oriental lady in 7" wedges to snag the box. Wow, an 8, my size! Heel not so high that I will go sprawling into the cake table with these. And that satin shade looks kind of like The Color and had these beautiful little sparkles across the toes.

I dashed off to find a couple of those half cut off peds you get at nicer stores rather than trying it on with bare feet. There were waiting lines even for the chairs, so I leaned against a wall by the tennis shoes and kind of angled off my shoe, on with the ped and then slipped on the sandal. And lo and behold, even with sweats, not only did it fit and look beautiful and feel comfortable, but my lumpy bunion completely disappeared beneath all those sparkles. That's Disney luck, if you ask me.

I have been wearing Olive Oyl shoes for the last several years due to plantar fasciatis, so this was like rediscovering Atlantis. Girl feet again! So on the big day I'll have a pretty pedicure and relax with my friends nibbling on a veggie tray and hanging out in our super secret location. (Room 2, top of the stairs.) Me and my sparkles are ready.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! Happy Valentine's Day, by the way!

    ReplyDelete