Apr 18, 2012

Seek and Find (From 2010)

It takes a special kind of person to be on Facebook. I don't get the necessity of being the center of the wheel with all of my relationship spokes seeing each other's exchanges. I mean, will my Aunt in Illinois really want to read about my weekend spent painting my boyfriend's step-daughter's house in preparation for a wedding of someone she doesn't know?

I've been wondering why Facebook bugs me so much and I think it may be because I am an individual relationship builder. I'm inherently shy and so my relationships build over a long time, one by one. They are rarely inter-connected and I maintain them individually, privately.

I have friends who socialize in large groups and I can absolutely see the appeal of Facebook for them. I haven't been able to get past feeling that Facebook is a metaphorical water cooler, where people see and hear and comment and judge others - some they don't even know. It feels like I'm reading somebody else's mail.

Here's another take: A friend of mine views blogging the way I view Facebook. She says reading a blog is like reading somebody's personal diary and it's an inappropriate thing to do. And yet I don't see that at all. I love to blog.

In the end, it comes down to the old adage of what you seek is what you'll find. Those who look to re-link with old friends and laugh through life together will find them. I think that is probably the best of what Facebook offers: connections to better our lives in business, in leisure, in expanding our worth, our knowledge, our heart.

But it's not for me...not yet, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment