Apr 4, 2009

Intangibles

Ok, so now you know. I can't sleep. Melatonin didn't even work.

What woke me up was a sore foot, but I was thinking about my dad and about the way we pass on parts of ourselves to each other. It doesn't have to be family members, although that's usually our closest unit. Friends, co workers, bosses, neighbors - everyone and everything colors our world. It's part of the human experience, the MeStory.

I really believe living stories create a shared history from past to future. The great oral traditions and, later, written works captured historical events, but it is the experience of life that changes us fundamentally, and those we love or admire can't help but become part of our life process, part of who we are becoming.

My skin, my hair, my eyes are like my father's, but it is the passing along of his intangibles that are stored in my heart. Life is bound to build on bits of others, person to person, story to story, imbedding it in history. You're right with me, Pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment