Apr 4, 2009

Darkness to Light

It's been a long rest stop between blogs, and I've missed it. I've been immersed in re-establishing the library at the high school where I work. The school was under a huge remodel and renovation which is now complete, and for the last month or so it has been my task to rebuild and organize the space. It's a huge and physically exhausting task, and I have come to appreciate the generosity of students and staff who have pitched in to help.

There is excitement building as the space takes shape. Students drop in to find out when it will officially be open and what it will look like. I tell them, come in and check out whatever you like: this is your library and the books are always here when you need them.

I put Inherit the Wind and The Grapes of Wrath on the shelves, knowing the stories and lessons they teach and wonder if they still pack the punch for today's students that they did for me. Jane Eyre, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Long Walk to Freedom, all part of the sampler quilt of life, all waiting for eager minds and warm hands to open them up.

We unbox hundreds a day, maybe more, separating by author or number and carting them to their destination. There are thousands more, each with a voice eager to be heard. Boxes are still everywhere, and as I inspect the covers and check bar codes I drift off thinking about how the space will be.

I imagine a reader's corner, with used books to take and replace for free, and an author-of-the-month display with a bio, photo and copies of books the author has written. Lining the walls will be inspirational quotes and framed photos of student readers, study desks around the perimeter and a research room full of computers with networked printers. Students will learn about library etiquette, a place of quiet respect that welcomes them in and wants them to linger.

The City of Sacramento has expressed interest in developing a partnership and that may mean more books, more hours, more community outreach. I can't think of anything better than a school library being a positive link to families and the neighborhood. It will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment