Mar 21, 2014

DC FazMcBush

Today I am full of wonder as I remember my second son's birth and the joy he has brought every day since. His middle name is Charles in honor of my dad and brother, but also from that night in labor when I danced the Charleston with a good friend and coach to speed things along. 

I should have known this kid would be amazing, when a crazy-haired doc showed up in the middle of the night in a Berkeley sweatshirt with sawed off sleeves and announced, Let's get this show on the road.  Not long after, I met my son for the very first time.

There are so many captured moments that run through my head each birthday. If truth be told, there wasn't much to do other than the usual keep him clean and out of trouble stuff. He seemed to be born with a complete set of instructions on how the world works and the navigational tools to get around.

As a small child he completely mastered the concept of money. I taught him the basics, but he wanted to spend some and have some for later. By six, he was in charge of our travel expenses and meals on a trip across country. He had a little ledger and we'd talk about the budget and he'd offer sage advice, like, well we spent a lot on gas and food: can we just sleep in the car?  {No, no honey, let me tell you about Credit ... }

He taught me about the courage necessary to live with a generous heart. He is an interesting, inquisitive, smart, daring person. Like McGyver, he figures it out with just a toothpick and a pocket knife. He imagines and tries, zip lines through the trees, persistently grabs for what he wants, parasails, loves, works around obstacles, and is the first to put out a hand to help another up. 

I used to wonder as I lay quietly feeling him kick my ribs: What will he look like? Who will he be? I couldn't imagine how great it would be.  Happy Birthday, son. Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment