Jan 19, 2012

On Being Nice

A girl I once met said her shrink told her that being nice 'wasn't anything' and challenged her to stand for something and make something of herself. 


My upbringing was all about being nice. It was an end goal; a saavy and necessary partner in business and life to maintain a sense of self.   Other than on the show Sunday Morning, where is it modeled?


Nice is thought of as weak. When someone says you are nice, more than not it is for lack of a better adjective. But it really is strength.
Nice is a synonym of righteous, or right-wise, and defined as good, honest, virtuous and fair. It is one of the character traits we all try to find, maybe even the actual cornerstone of an honest life.

Being nice is hard work. How interesting that it can be misconstrued. No matter! It remains my highest goal. I hope I wear the label with pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment