Apr 28, 2011

Gains and Losses

Spring is always a little bit melancholy for me. Living in a mild climate is like eating chicken every night for dinner. And so when something happens, anything at all weather-wise, I love it.

I'm sure you think I have lost my senses to want to celebrate any change, no matter how slight. I'm sure it's because I have lived here most of my life where nothing happens. I've never really had the opportunity to glimpse an actual textural change of seasons (except for that brief touchdown in Ohio for 10 months and thank you for not bringing that up).

My beloved Arizona was a huge disappointment, weather-wise. It boasted something like 300 days of sunshine - so much so that we had to run the air conditioner on Christmas Day in order to have a fire going because it was 75 degrees. And yeah, it's sunny but it's also 115 in the summer and who can enjoy going to the grocery store with an Igloo cooler in the trunk so your frozen food can make it home on the 10 minute drive without thawing?

Another thing with a mild climate is that none of the bugs die. So flies and mosquitos and spiders just keep multiplying year-round. The pest control companies love it, but I'd prefer to witness a cycle of life thing.

I want to plan things around what the weather is doing. I want to tune in at 5pm to hear what tomorrow will be like, or later tonight. I want our weather people to have something to do that draws our attention for more than sixty seconds.

And so for as beautiful as the cherry blossoms are, Spring isn't the season for me anymore. I've got a hankering to head East this year to see a real fall for a change. Maybe this year we will actually go.

2 comments:

  1. I await your arrival. Of course, Fall has a perverse habit of coming after the tourists leave, or before they come. Weather here is menacingly capricious. I, for one, miss California's stable weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably more just human nature to want what you can't have. I still want curly hair. :)

    ReplyDelete