Feb 11, 2011

Giddyup

I am horseback riding again after reading this article about the value of higher education.

The author has put together results of a national study, from a reputed marketing research firm, that looked into the return on investment via college career paths. Simplistically, he concluded that there is a large percentage of our population who is not working in their direct area of study, something identified as 'underemployed'.

I was that, for about 14 months, but I'm not now.

In this authoritative comparative analysis of college and trade school in terms of measureable yield and outcomes, he missed the entire point: college is an investment in yourself, and an opportunity to deepen and broaden skillsets, experience, and knowledge in relating to the world.

College is the cerebral equivalent of a You Are Here map.  It gives you a jumping off point, but not a destination. Because the destination is open-ended.

A trade school is more of a You Want To End Up Here map. Its focus is narrow and seeks only that outcome. Nothing else matters to a trade school other than teaching one particular skill.

My ex did the trade school route and I did the regular way. We ended up making about the same amount of money (ft-vs-ft), but this study would not identify him as 'underemployed': only me. But am I, really?Would it have been worth it to stay at that vile publishing house just to be on the right side of this study's assessment of whether my academia has been a total waste?

College is a different animal altogether. It seems like the goals are similar for both institutions, but they really are not. And don't forget to throw in what life unexpectedly tosses at you, just for good measure. I'm pretty sure a Ph.D waiting tables has her own reasons for doing it, none of which are our business or useful to judge. Maybe she's a single mother who wants to be home to pick up her daughter and do homework. Maybe she discovered she's a people person who gets antsy sitting at a desk all day. Maybe it's her restaurant. Maybe it's her second job because her husband is unemployed.

I clearly stand by college. It was a hugely valuable personal experience. The oral tradition of the Odyssey and To Kill A Mockingbird was passed on to my children when they were small. I became a lifelong learner, with confidence to grow and learn about computers and new innovations, write blogs and travel journals in my seemingly pathetic 'overinvested' life. And working as a secretary allowed me time to devote to my sons as they were growing up, so I could be home with them and help with homework and sports and Scouts.

How can anyone want to solely rely on the primary and secondary schools to teach the skillsets necessary to fully function in the business of life? Our educational system is in crisis; our children are advanced without demonstrating mastery of the basic subjects; and before we know it, they are 18 and sitting at home playing video games with no job, no work ethic, no skills and no prospects.

You can draw your own conclusions about college, but you cannot deny it teaches endurance and personal accountability. There is a lot of hard work with unbiased assessments based on a student's work ethic, participation, intellect and performance. You meet with obstacles that over 4 years are necessary to overcome. You either master it and achieve or you don't.

That sounds a lot like real life to me.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/innovations/why-did-17-million-students-go-to-college/27634

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Obviously, gainful employment is not for me, but college enriched my life. I don't regret it.

    ReplyDelete