Dec 13, 2010

Mother, May I?

I am watching the human behavior of change and shifting roles in a family entrenched with how it's always been. From just outside the limelight I see movement towards an authentic integration of my relationships with my steps (sister and brother).

Normally this might happen in baby steps, inching along the wall before wading in.  But as with most crises, it thrusts life onto us when we are unprepared and a choice emerges from the awkward gap that forms.

We are all aware of how important it is (symbolically and otherwise) to leave space for reentry. But in the meantime someone's got to provide full coverage for the details of life that have been independently managed.

The difference between in- and inter- dependence is huge and the implications of it will weigh down our patient if we are not careful in how the transition is handled.

Mother, May I?  Just for a while?

No comments:

Post a Comment