Dec 22, 2010

Grandma Hartje

This is for Jenn.

I'm not quite ready for bed and you were on my mind. Mostly I was thinking about everything that is changing in your life and how sad it is to say goodbye.

Maybe God made you the type of person who can adapt to anything that life throws at you so in times like these you have the strength to carry on. I know Grandma Hartje was a big part of your life, an inspiration, a joy, and a continuity link. She and your Grandpa have always been hugely important.

 It is never enough time when we are grieving the loss, but those memories will keep them present in your hearts and more precious as time goes on. I marvel at your niece and nephew being able to really know their great grandparents and to be part of the stories of their lives. They will truly remember them and that is a gift.

I hope you and the family are sitting around the dinner table with some of that German beer you talk about, laughing at all the great stories about your grandma and grandpa. I hope you are looking through photo albums. And I hope the healing begins to soften the ache ... and you find your strength.

Funerals are tough but they do let others share how much your grandma touched their lives and help you see they share the loss and offer support.  From this distance our voices are just a whisper, but we are wishing you well. Good luck today: it's almost over.

No comments:

Post a Comment