Dec 23, 2010

The Great Race

I love Christmas for all the wrong reasons. I love that it provides a chance to chat with neighbors over a plate of cookies or a holiday card. I love to see smiles and patience as the crowd waits together in line. I love the salespeople happy to sell me a gift that will make someone's day.

People are more open and friendly at this time of year. We laugh and look at each other. We pick up a stranger's toll across the bridge. We give sweet strangers holiday cards because they are lonesome and sad. Life transforms into pleasant connections as we race through days that are crammed with chores and decisions. 

When does that happen otherwise? It's as if the holiday magically puts the world in a good mood. It melts away the worries and wishes for what we don't have, and we are left with the really good things we take for granted the rest of the year. 

And so, in addition to the sweet, savory memories of my little boys with bright shining eyes full of wonder that will always mean Christmas, I yearn to make a habit of the me I become at this time of year.

Everyone worries about what lies ahead and we make New Year's resolutions ... and then we break them. So this year I've 'earmarked' an idea for 2011 ~  to live Christmassy all year long. Be more generous with time and energy, reach out to those in need, be more considerate and thoughtful. Make more of an effort to open my home and my heart.

I don't know about you, but it feels like the new year is already looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment