Oct 17, 2010

JD

John Donne was on the brain this morning and his famous passage, 'for whom the bell tolls'. So I hopped online and while I was reacquainting my memory with his works, I came upon a well-pu-together essay on his background, experiences and health issues that contributed to propelling Donne to hold a prominent place among the Metaphysical Poets.  I hope you enjoy it.

http://community.middlebury.edu/~harris/donne.html
No man is an Iland, intire of itselfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod be washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were ; and mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment