Jul 8, 2010

99 Weeks

IN THE NEWS: "On Wednesday, June 30, the United States Senate rejected a bill that would extend the expired unemployment benefits that have been keeping approximately 1.2 million unemployed Americans afloat. Known as "99ers" (which refers to those who have received 99 weeks of unemployment checks), many are desperate to work but cannot find a job."

Social services are a contentious topic especially in this economic climate. People contend we are 'giving away the farm' and the people doing it don't work as hard as their salaries reflect, hello Legislators!!  They give themselves raises and load bills with special interests that tax the devil out of the working class to cover programs never intended to be as broad as they have become.

Like an unmaintained levee, the flaws burst into view when a crisis comes along, like now for instance with an economic crisis the end of which is years away. Social programs have been out of control for decades, and the will of the people turns out to be more of an illusion than a voice at the polls. We see now that representation changes but the agenda never does.

I am a hard working, unemployed woman on unemployment. It doesn't pay much, about 40% of my normal salary, but I am grateful for it. I look at it as a short term loan I give myself after 24 years of working and not needing it until now.

The benefits are intentionally geared low. It's a short term bridge to help with the very basics so you do not need social services and welfare while you look for a job. My mortgage consumes 65% of what I receive and if I had picked up my husband's company insurance that would have been another 50% more (115% without food or utilities). Not quite the life sustaining boon people are claiming in the news, is it? How anyone would be able to make this a way of life is beyond me.

I know people like to believe the worst of others but I'll tell you what, the unemployed people I know want to be working. Livelihoods are on the line, present and future survival along with an incredibly complex set of issues involving self worth and healthcare and longevity and retirement. We are awake in the night trying to imagine a life where we will be unable to make do for ourselves. It is frightening.

Workers fall into two categories, users or doers, and it is impossible to defend any system entirely from misuse. But I wouldn't be adverse to continually proving that I am looking for work, applying for jobs, and going on interviews. Let me show you the lists and interview info. The state has every right to be sure I am doing what I say I am and that I never take those checks for granted.

I see a general lack of flexibility when an old career path closes. However it happens, whether it is through age discrimination or diminished salary, the HR-driven world discounts them and targets younger people without the experience and skills to command a salary, people willing to settle for entry level pay. Older workers can't live on that, after taxes and transportation costs, and why should they after paying their dues through years of comtributions and excellent skills?

That is why thinking outside the box is a genuine problem. Should the unemployed return to school or learn about a small business? How does one find sustainable work outside their comfort zones without experience? At any rate, 99 weeks is on the horizon, and until it's worked out the middle class sliders who are most in need will be up at night with worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment