May 26, 2010

A Sadder and Wiser Man

I've been neglecting this blog with starting up a travelog (http://bushtreks.blogspot.com/) that is so much fun bringing up-to-date that I start looking through the dog-eared journal which has pulled out from the cover and torn up on one edge, and I think of all the places it went, and when eventually I do write it needs a few pictures for emphasis and there I go, weeding through the glorious thousands and before you know it the day is gone.

But today is about what it means to have the upper hand which isn't always the gift we think it is. And that life is really about taking the high road because that's the scenery you want around you.

My Ex works with our daughter, but he didn't know that until recently and found out quite by accident when the situation moved from quietly tolerable to 'in-'.

Let's suffice it to say that comments were made and overheard which were entirely untrue and unkind. When we learned of it, my blood boiled, and arms tingled and I got a little sick to my stomach. What the heck is up with that?

Talk about God's sledge hammer telling me not to give power to power brokers! Ok, ok I'll work to let it go! But let me just say this:

How we live in our hearts speaks volumes about what matters, not what we say but what we do. Rewriting the past is nothing but fiction to make it a better story for ourselves to hear. There is hard work in confronting the truth about ourselves, taking responsibility for it, and making amends. It involves action and humility and asking for forgiveness from those who we hurt. And it is truly sad that in over a decade, my ex is no closer to knowing what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment