Apr 20, 2010

No Strings

I came across today a link from aol.com -- the information frontage road to the news. It was an interesting link to a man who has, since 2009, given away $10 a day to random people and chronicled their lives in a blog. His link is: http://www.yearofgiving.wordpress.com/

Altruism improves people. I have fond memories of paying for the car behind me in the line for the bridge toll booth, and once when I let a woman in ahead of me in the drive thru line at Jack in the Box she paid for my entire meal. It feels great every time there is a chance.

I was pulling into a busy parking lot the other day and watched the car in front of me gesture another car in to the spot they had been waiting to occupy. As a courtesy. Nearby I observed a car starting to pull out while another rushed out of its spot. Instead of getting mad and gesturing, the first driver graciously pull back into the spot, smiled and waved the other driver ahead.

Giving. We dream big dreams of winning the lottery and having the resources to make a real difference on a grand scale, but day-to-day humanity freely passes on. The more you do it, the more you want to, and it spreads like a contagious smile. It doesn't cost a dime most of the time.

But when money is involved, I think actual giving should be cloaked by invisibility, otherwise there is the inevitable potential for self promotion. Quietly leaving a basket of food and baby items at the door of a woman who is having twins and living in section 8 housing or working a Thanksgiving food line or making an anonymous donation to a college student's account somehow feels more selfless.

Don't get me wrong. I do commend someone who would chronicle his stories of generosity for others to emulate, but I'll stick to the plan of keeping it just between me and God.

No comments:

Post a Comment