Mar 13, 2010

The World by Storm

There are moments now when the joy is so profound I can help but say it aloud. Thank you, Lord, for the gifts in my life.

Our middle son moved in last week, in his good natured way of adjusting and adapting to all the changes necessary to clear a space for him. He set up a room that is spacious and at the same time warm and inviting. Suits him. The youngest is home with us, too, working hard at a job in Sac, working out, eating right, making strides. He's a joy to be around, too.

When the kids were small, I made sure they each had a sense of responsibility and skills that would make them independent when the time came to venture out into their lives. Looking back, teaching them to cook and clean, do laundry and budget gave them confidence to thrive. I figured they'd do as I had done, dive into life and never look back.

But I'm changing my mind about that in this depression no one wants to call that. These days I'm observing that parenting isn't contained to twenty-some-odd years. It's a never-ending balancing act of believing and encouraging and even offering a hand when the economic weather turns. So here we are, on firmer ground with a little family of wonderfully self-sufficient, capable men gaining strength and comfort before they take the world by storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment