Mar 29, 2010

Glimpses of Humanity

It was strange waking up this morning thinking of the Allegory of the Cave. What is it in our natures to weigh-in on every issue from fancy cars and a neighbor's garden to charter schools, dog breeds and the unionization of coal miners in other countries? We have become shockingly self-important.

And with that in mind, I know you'll want to know everything about me. (HA!) I sometimes let the browser blurbs define what is newsworthy. Swear. I wouldn't be caught dead reading a rag at the checkout but I glance at aol.com every morning and read some of those ridiculous articles about whether your star is in the right house and if you are wearing clothes that flatter your body style.  What is up with that?!

Also, I am rabid about applying humanistic purpose to every step of my day but am a total flab-bomb as a citizen. If it doesn't affect me, me, me in little town USA, I am a lazy citizen (but only if you look).

And so this morning as I finally turned myself out of bed, I watched my little routines that starts the day, a strong cup of coffee in a well-lit kitchen from a favorite mug, and the tap of keys while a bagel toasted up. As I sipped and blogged in my happy little space, was I thinking about poverty and misfortune beyond my little world and circle of friends?

I first met Plato in college and never dreamed that after living roughly 64% of my life I'd be waking up with him again. But you know, he was right with his little allegory. Life truly is lived in reflection because it's more comfortable and safe. I hope humanity has not run so far afield of right living and basic civility to even care.

No comments:

Post a Comment