Mar 18, 2010

No Mo' Manners

I just don't understand all the weird and nasty comments that people leave on news articles and other public spaces like Facebook. Do you think it's just the yin and yang of the internet, where every voice has a sounding board even when it's ludicrous?

The internet has stripped away our manners. They've given us total access and celebrity status but do we really need to exist under the same scrutiny? Take for instance today's article on a 1960s gold medal winner's grandson being tragically killed. People jumped all over it, saying some pretty disparaging comments about the writer's style and format. They sure are emboldened tucked away with their hidden little laptops, saying things they would never say to the person's face. It royally pissed me off.

And so today I am officially doubly grateful for this little blog that quietly exists out of the limelight. I appreciate being stowed away in Anonymousland that is known only by people that know where to look. Those that want to read the funnies and foibles of an upbeat, unemployed, formerly single California girl who lives mid-sentence are probably the ones who star in the show. My life is wonderful but it is also what it is. People who come here already understand that.

Giving John Q Public the means to publish an opinion about absolutely everything is ridiculous. I long for the good old days of mystery, when you suspected someone might be stupid but they didn't have a chance to prove it.

For a dyed-in-the-wool, behind-the-scenes, get 'er done kind of energy bullet, this lifestyle change seemed kind of threatening at first. But now that I'm a celebrity and all, I'm thinking BIG. Maybe I'll aspire to be one of those astonishing 90 year olds who humbly lives in a one bedroom bungalow in Florida with too many cats and who bequeaths a stock portfolio totalling $10M to the cub scouts when I die.

Hey, it can happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment