Jan 8, 2010

To Each His Own

I know online dating gets a bad rap. People say it opens the door for potential creeps to have access to unsuspecting women, women that were fairly sheltered and innocent about the world. I'll give you I didn't have much experience when I started online dating and a few of my friends were the same way.

But what online dating DID did do is open the door to a world we wanted to step into in a way that felt safe to explore. It gave us a chance to learn the rules of dating in this modern world and to feel the exhiliration of being found interesting and pretty and sexy. It gave us practice at small talk and readied us for face to face meetings and eventually to open our hearts to someone new. We stepped into mud a time or two on that steep learning curve but we didn't stay there.

Dating sites also connect people who are looking just for friendship. I made two lifelong friends online with people of integrity and heart that literally changed my life.

Without venues like POF and eH, Randy and I don't think our paths would have organically crossed. I have several girlfriends whose lives are now rich and fulfilling, in real time and in real life. And so to the online detrators I say, to each his own journey towards fulfillment. I can't imagine not having found my way here.

1 comment:

  1. I found John online. We've been married 7 1/2 years, and it's been wonderful! We did talk to each other's frends (including pastors) before actually meeting, and chattted for almost two years before my first visit. As long as people use caution and common sense, online dating can be quite successful.

    ReplyDelete