Jan 18, 2010

Just As It Is

Life is hopeful in these days before the wedding, when holding hands feels just right with just the right kind of warmth. We notice everything. Take for instance our negotiations and how we communicate with a natural sense of compromise already built in. That is one of my favorite things.

Getting married in our 50s is much more fun than it was when we were young. No doubt our seasoning, weathering, experiences, and age - whatEVER! - has given us time to explore our mature selves in a way that makes marriage more of a fit than a risk. There's a comfortable companionability as we settle in to an intimate cluster of 40 on account of all the children, grandchildren, great-grandkids, brothers and whatnot. The nest is well feathered, that's for sure.

We were talking last night about what it would have been like had we met in our 20s. I think about that now, and about the sons I treasure and celebrate, and all of life that has washed over and softened my edges. I do so love RMan's gentle lived-in heart and the patina that makes him so exceptionally right for me. And so to thoughts of what could have been I say, the beauty of us is deepened by what we valued in our lives and carried along, all the magnificent moments of love and joy and the hard lessons, too. I think life is exactly right, just as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment