Dec 1, 2009

Nectar and Life

Children see things we don't because we forget to look.

And so today I looked at the view and not just walked on ahead. I noticed something off to one side and munched through the undergrowth to discover a lake quietly reflecting the trees along its shore. I breathed in that sweet moist muddy smell and watched the things moving just under the surface, water bugs and minnows. How great life would be with a house just to the left, right at the edge, right right there...

Eventually I worried because I always get lost and why would today be any different, so I trod on back and noticed a meadow on the other side so I stepped over the path and into it. I sat in the tall grass with little flower sprays and the blades grazed my neck and cheeks as it rustled in the breeze, itchy and smelling of sun and dirt and nectar. I closed my eyes and listened in the quiet to butterfly wings and buzzing insects and then looked along the tops of the grass all the way across the field to the majestic oaks. How nice it would be every morning to be part of the peace, for a little cottage to be to the right of the oaks, right right there ...

Do all adults want to own beauty, tame and capture it, engage and draw from it, or is it just me? I think children don't think this way because they can hold the moment. By giving their whole selves to the beauty they find, it becomes part of them. Wish I could do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment