Oct 27, 2008

Stuff

I tear through life like its on fire. Lord, there's not a minute to spare.

Ah: I know what this is! This is life in transition, with one foot in the old life and one in the new. The mail is forwarded, the dog is settled, and the mountain of stuff is somewhere or other, a storage unit, a flatbed trailer, at the old place.

Don and Jami just went through this. Don's been a confirmed bachelor all of his life until the girl down the block won his heart. He's a historian, a world traveller and photographer so his life is cluttered with the trappings of that: a shell casing from WWI, framed photos of exotic places, memorabilia from the Civil War, family heirlooms, a kayak.

He recently mentioned how much easier it is to let go of things when you are building a life with someone. In other words, the things that Don had attached such significance to have now become just things.

Wow. Loving somebody stretches us into new shapes. I suppose we're apt to feel a small twinge of nostalgia as the old patterns slip away but in its place is the excitement of making a new and better life. I was curious how Randy and I would get from here to there, somewhere I could crack open that book I've been neglecting. The answer is: we just will.

No comments:

Post a Comment