Aug 28, 2008

My Favorite Cup

Funny how attached we get to things. Marcia and I went out to dinner last week and she was telling me a long, drawn out tale of her favorite coffee cup, how she found it in 1982 and it had been with her for years before it was broken in a tragic accident two years ago. She has had bad cup karma since and has broken two replacements.

I totally live in her world. I've got this coffee cup I just love to death. It was hand crafted in Ashland by a woman who rolled the handle and embossed a design on the outside. It's not perfectly round and it gets too hot to touch but it's light blue and completely unique. I bought it for $25 -- TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS -- which I gladly paid and which provides endless joy each morning. I'm so attached to this little ceramic cup that I'd never dream of taking it to work. When my son leaves it in the sink, having used it when I'm away, part of me actually wants to hide it.

Can you believe that? Of course you can.

Possessions are hugely significant, marking our travel through life. For Marsh, this faded 16 oz urn had weathered it all: marriage, divorce, three jobs, a daughter. For me, my little extravagant mug was the first thing I bought at the Shakespeare Festival to celebrate my emancipation after the divorce.

Imperfect. Serviceable. Unique. Now why does that seem familiar?

No comments:

Post a Comment