Jul 31, 2008

Type Cast

I'm not his type, so I'm told.

I can see that. I'm a Democrat so we can't discuss politics (you know how ex-Democrats can be). I run late and am forever getting lost except when I'm with the Human Garmin. It creeps me out he knows where I am when I'm lost in downtown Sac and he's sitting in the pool in Woodland with a Scotch.

Life is entertaining. Much to my chagrin, I'm a natural straight man for his bad puns and wicked wit. We talk passionately about history and literature, play cribbage cross legged while we sing 1960s songs. Sometimes I remember both the lyrics and the name of the group, but he always does.

My dog hairs up the place, swims in the pool, licks him awake. He likes Shakespeare and I'm thinking about liking movies. We saw Executive Action on TV the other night and talked about it for the whole next day. (Sorry, not you, Batman.)

His 'carefree' yard takes an hour a day because we went hog wild with container plants that now need to be watered and tended. We talk incessantly about how they're doing, our little plants that we fuss over like children, and gripe at each other about over- or under-watering as we drag them around the yard. The man uses a 5 gallon bucket to water, for crimeny sake.

We stroll around big issues a while before coming back to decide. There's no big past drama to haul out and beat. Disagreements seem to dissolve in the hot tub along with the rest of life's stresses (but God Help You if you wash two-day-old shorts draped over the bench ...)

Needs are small, dreams are big, and time seems long and leisurely. Come to think of it, he's not my type, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment