Dec 26, 2007

The Merry Chase

Christmas this year was a symbolic event with dad and mom gone. Thoughts flitted in and out as preparations were made and invitations extended for our holiday gathering. Family and friends were invited -- I was so excited for it to arrive!

Christmas dishes were unpacked, the collection of Santas decorated shelves and counters, and the Nativity was set up on the table next to the fireplace: we were ready! I held my mother's stocking briefly and then tucked it into the box with the ornaments I no longer display. It made me wonder what other differences this holiday might bring.

A few days shy of Christmas, one of my sons had to rearrange time with his father. On the 24th, the eldest explained he wanted to spend Christmas day with his girlfriend's family and another anxiously watched the clock because his girl expected him later on Christmas eve. My sweetheart planned to spend Christmas afternoon with his grandchildren and my brother had Christmas dinner plans with a friend. And that is how I found myself alone on Christmas afternoon for the first time since ... since ... for the first time!

You know, it wasn't bad. Sophie and I hung around and napped, had some chicken soup and watched TV and napped some more. All I could think about was how much fun we had on Christmas eve! The loud and playful gifting and games and conversations lasted late into the night. When things finally began to wane, people gathered up their holiday spirit and headed back into their lives with a hug and a smile.

After our friends left on Christmas eve, I sat contentedly snuggled against Randy and marveled at change in all of its magnificent forms. Life seems to have arrived on our doorstep this year! It didn't resemble past Christmases, not at all, but I liked it just as well.

Next year, and in the years ahead, I will open the door and enjoy the merry chase!

No comments:

Post a Comment