Jun 30, 2007

Insane Mothers

It's tough when a parent has to wait for the learning curve to take root. I feel my foot tap tap tapping out the reprise: what is TAKING so long with the life lessons? Whatever happened to the good old days when you could just stuff them into color-coded Garanimals outfits and get them off to school?

I suppose when my brother and I were doing the broadjump, my mom tamped down her instinct to grab us by the scruff of the neck and shake us silly. From a parent's point of view, that requires some pretty fancy footwork. But even with the teenage speed-of-light immersion plan, the parental levee occasionally has a breach.

I once observed one of those when my mother chased my brother around the pool with a broom because he waited too long to clean the pool before her party and the filter backed up and nobody wanted to swim in water the color of skim milk. Another time a heated exchange -- which I'm SURE didn't involve my inflammatory tone -- resulted in a bag of granola being hurled in my direction. Unfortunately for mom, it fell short of its intended target and landed (and burst) in the open baby grand piano. I'll bet THAT took a while to suck up with a vacuum crevice tool.

WHAT?

I always figured this was subject specific parent insanity (SSPI). And then I became a mother and learned the truth: insane parents are made and not born. Swear! Contrary to popular opinion, mothers start out normal, they DO, as infinitely patient, optimistic, human nurturers, and over hundreds and thousands of interchanges with people-on-the-rise, they erode.

An angel gently nuzzling her newborn in a few short years becomes that shrew you see swinging a bat at the umpire at a little league game because little Johnny's ball SHOULD HAVE BEEN a home run. A 5'7" woman who needs help with the lawn mower can indeed lift a 6' seventeen year old boy off the ground when he is sneaking her daughter home at 4:00 AM. A mother with no money who loves her kid more than anything will figure a way to have his hunk of junk truck towed 100 miles to college if he dares her.

Now that I'm a 'seasoned' mother, I sit on my hands on the sidelines watching them make their own way, wondering if it's the steeper grade that makes the lessons harder or just the fact that each lesson carries more weight.

You bet they see me cheering their progress and learning lessons of my own as I master being a mother of grown ups. I'll be right with you guys, right after I lean a bit more into the curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment