May 30, 2007

Passing the Baton

I just spent nine days in Colorado, exploring life as an adult. I found myself longing to wrap my memories up and suspend them in time, not wanting to give up those moments that made me who I was. People are hard to give up, too.

How strange to be nobody’s child, nobody’s daughter. Who will regale us with stories about the early years or the great Aunts who hovered, or a certain Christmas morning when a rumored offspring (who shall remain nameless) opened and resealed gifts to avoid prosecution? I had grown bored of hearing those worn out stories I knew word for word, but crave her voice now that the chance to hear them again has passed.

I called her number to be told it is disconnected. I wonder how many times I will need to do that before it sinks in. In the blink of an eye, I have become the new ‘old’ generation, yoked and entrusted to be the guardian of our heritage. There is great responsibility in that, I realize, as I sit on the veranda of a beautiful turn of the century home in Colorado Springs, not knowing the family whose portrait hangs in the foyer but am sure they could not have imagined a California girl sitting here savoring their legacy.

I am the keeper of the melody that played between us when I sought refuge in her support. Her voice was sometimes like staccato notes dancing along ivories that could soothe my battered spirit. I wonder if that song will fade as time plays on. It is the love of a parent that I will miss: the last bastion of childhood is now laid to rest.

I will continue to strengthen the family nest with some of her feathers and lots of my dad's but mostly with mine and Don's. My sons will take refuge and learn by heart the melody we create. I will regale them with stories which they will grow tired of hearing but will listen to, as I did, because they will know how treasured they will be when life presses onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment